What is FPS or First Person Shooter? (2023)
In many game series such as Call of Duty, Doom, Counter Strike, Quake, Battlefield and Half Life, developers who share with us the perspectives of game characters have managed to attract many people to play their games. So what is FPS, one of the most popular genres of the game world?
What does the FPS means?
What is FPS? It is the shortage of “frames per second”. It is a measurement of the rate at which images are displayed on a screen or in a video. Specifically, it refers to the number of unique frames that are displayed every second. In video games, a higher FPS means smoother and more fluid motion, which can improve the overall gaming experience. In video production, the FPS can also affect the perceived speed and smoothness of the footage.
The game type, which is “First Person Shooter” in English, is quite common among action games. FPS games typically try to give the player the feeling of being in the action.
What is FPS or First Person Shooter as a game genre?
An FPS game allows the player to participate in the action from a first-person point of view, showing the arms of the game character and the weapon or object in hand at the time.
When moving in different directions with the gamepad or computer keyboard, a slight left-right swaying motion is usually reflected on the screen to provide a more realistic gaming experience. These jolts can be more or less severe depending on whether the player is running, walking or getting hit.
The sense of realism can be enhanced by the redness reflected on the player’s screen when being hit, drops covering the screen when getting wet, or blue icing effects when feeling cold. Breath sounds and footsteps are also included in more detail.
How many FPS can the eye see?
The human eye does not see in frames per second like a camera or computer monitor does. Rather, our visual perception is a continuous stream of information that is processed by the brain.
However, there is a limit to how quickly our eyes can perceive changes in visual information. The exact number varies from person to person and can depend on factors such as age, lighting conditions, and the characteristics of the visual stimulus.
It is believed that the human eye can perceive changes in visual information at a rate of around 60 frames per second or higher. This is why a frame rate of 60 FPS or higher is often used in video games and other applications where fast and smooth motion is important.
Some studies suggest that the human eye may be able to perceive changes in visual information at much higher rates, up to several hundred frames per second. This is an area of ongoing research, and the exact limits of human visual perception are not yet fully understood.
Which modes are there in FPS games?
FPS games usually have two game modes. These can be mission mode or multiplayer, i.e. multiplayer. The mission mode aims for a one-person gaming experience.
Normally, this mode includes various chapters that become increasingly difficult and lead to a final goal. During these chapters, the player is engaged with the character’s story.
In multiplayer mode, several people are brought together over network connections to play together. In the past, LAN connections were a more popular option, but nowadays people connect to a central server of the game via their home network.
There are different options for multiplayer that are shorter but offer a more challenging game experience:
- Team deathmatch
- Capture the Ffag (Capture the flag or territory)
- Search and destroy
- Last man standing
First Person Shooter, or FPS, refers to the perspective offered to the player. This concept, which was first included in shooter games, was solidified with “Wolfenstein 3D” in 1992.
Today, it is possible to play not only action but also car racing and other sports games from a first person perspective.
Paid FPS Games
Now that we know what a First Person Shooter is, let’s look at the most popular titles. The ones we have written below are examples of these. Although many beautiful productions are released every year, these are the Paid FPS games that have been pushing the first places of the list for a long time.
- Call of Duty series: Call of Duty is a series of FPS games released since 2003. The series includes numerous games set in various time periods from the first and second world wars to the present day. Call of Duty is popular for its immersive storylines, multiplayer modes and various game mechanics.
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO) is an FPS game released in 2012. In the game, there is a struggle between terrorists and anti-terrorists. CS:GO is especially popular for its multiplayer mode and competitive gameplay.
- Battlefield series The Battlefield series is an FPS game set in many different war times, from the first and second world wars to modern wars. The series is known for its open-world maps, variety of vehicles and weapons, large-scale battles and realistic graphics.
- Rainbow Six Siege: Rainbow Six Siege is a tactical FPS game. The game features operations carried out by the special forces unit Rainbow Six to counter attacks by terrorists. The game requires players to use strategic planning, tactical play and coordination skills.
- Overwatch: Overwatch is a first-person shooter and team-based game. In the game, there are heroes with different abilities and roles. Players try to defeat the opposing team by working together with their teammates.
Free to Play FPS games
- Team Fortress 2: Team Fortress 2 is a free FPS game developed and published by Valve. In the game, there is a battle between two teams and each team has characters with different roles.
- Warframe: Warframe is a free co-op third-person shooter. Players customise their own Warframe and complete missions in different parts of the galaxy.
- Paladins: Paladins is a free team-based shooter. Players choose from different heroes and try to defeat the opposing team.
- Apex Legends: Apex Legends is an FPS game in the Battle Royale genre. Players choose from different heroes and try to survive on the map.
- Planetside 2: Planetside 2 is a free open world FPS game. Players choose between different factions and try to win the war by capturing control points.
FPS as a technology term
FPS stands for “Frames Per Second” and is used to measure the fluidity and mobility of graphics in games. Frame Per Second refers to the number of frames displayed per second. For example, 60 FPS means that 60 frames are displayed every second.
Higher FPS values provide a smoother gaming experience and allow reactions to be faster and more accurate. However, the computer’s hardware must also be sufficiently powerful for the value to be high.
What is a good FPS rate?
A good FPS rate can depend on the context and the specific requirements of the task at hand. In general, a higher FPS is better, as it provides smoother and more fluid motion. However, the optimal FPS can vary depending on factors such as the type of content being displayed, the hardware used to display it, and the preferences of the viewer.
For most video content, a frame rate of 24 FPS to 30 FPS is considered sufficient for smooth and natural-looking motion. However, for fast-paced action scenes or gaming, a higher frame rate of 60 FPS or more is typically preferred for a smoother and more responsive experience.
How Many Fps is too Low?
The minimum acceptable FPS can depend on the specific application and the type of content being displayed. However, in general, a frame rate below 30 FPS can be considered too low for most applications. This can result in choppy and jerky motion, which can be distracting and reduce the quality of the viewing experience.
In video games, a low frame rate can also have a negative impact on gameplay, as it can make the game feel less responsive and cause input lag.
What happens if FPS is high?
If the FPS is high, it means that the number of unique frames that are displayed every second is greater. This can have several benefits, depending on the specific application and the type of content being displayed:
- Smoother motion: A higher FPS can result in smoother and more fluid motion, which can improve the overall viewing or gaming experience. This is because there are more frames to fill in the gaps between each individual image, which can create the illusion of seamless motion.
- Improved responsiveness: In video games, a higher FPS can also result in improved responsiveness and reduced input lag. This is because the game is able to process and display input from the player more quickly and accurately.
- Better image quality: A higher FPS can also improve the overall image quality, especially in fast-moving scenes or action sequences. This is because there are more frames to capture the nuances and details of the motion, which can result in a clearer and more detailed image.
How to Increase Frames Per Second?
You can follow the steps below to get high FPS values and increase FPS values in games:
- Check your computer hardware: Since games may require high FPS values, components such as your computer’s processor, graphics card and RAM must have sufficient performance. Therefore, make sure that your hardware meets the requirements of the games.
- Optimise game settings: Lowering your game settings can increase your values. For example, lowering your graphics card’s settings or turning off features such as shading and anti-aliasing can increase your values.
- Consider playing games in windowed mode instead of full-screen mode.
- Use up-to-date drivers: Up-to-date video card drivers can make games run smoother.
- Clean up your hard disk regularly: Dusty and dirty components can affect your computer’s cooling, which can lower your values. Therefore, it is important to clean your computer regularly.
- Close background applications: Other applications running in the background can affect the performance of games. Therefore, closing applications running in the background while gaming can increase your FPS.
- Use game modes: Some games offer special modes or settings for high values. You can increase your FPS values by using these features.
By following the steps above, you can increase your values and get a smoother gaming experience. However, keep in mind that your hardware has its limits. There is no point in throwing your computer out the window and buying a new gaming computer just because you are getting a low result.
What should be the FPS value in games?
The answer to this question may vary depending on the type of game and gameplay. In general, these values are important for the fluidity and mobility of the gaming experience. The targeted values for games are as follows:
- 30FPS: Many games aim for a value of 30. This allows games to be played smoothly, but some games can still experience cramping and stuttering issues.
- 60FPS: 60 is the preferred value for many players. It allows games to be played more smoothly and makes the gaming experience more enjoyable.
- 120+: Some players prefer to play with high values. It makes the games more fluid and mobile. This can also provide an advantage.
FPS values may vary depending on the type of game and gameplay. For example, high results are preferred in first-person shooter games, while even 30FPS may be sufficient in strategy games. Also, FPS values fluctuate constantly while playing games and this is normal. The important thing is that the game is played smoothly.
How to adjust GeForce Experience settings?
GeForce Experience is a software for NVIDIA graphics cards and helps users optimise their gaming experience. This software offers some features and settings to improve the performance of games. You can follow the steps below to adjust the settings through GeForce Experience:
- Open GeForce Experience and click “Games” in the left menu.
- Find the game whose settings you want to edit and click the “Edit” button on the right side.
- On the “Edit Game” page, click “Game Properties” in the left menu.
- On the “Game Properties” page, click on “FPS Counter” and then select “On”.
- To select the position of the counter, click “FPS Counter Position” and select one of the lower right corner, lower left corner, or top centre positions.
- To set the limit, click “FPS Limit” and select the value.
- Click the “Save” button to save your settings.
You can also tinker with other options in this application and adjust your values to the level that works best for you.
How to Adjust AMD Radeon Adrenaline Settings?
You can adjust FPS settings with AMD Radeon Adrenalin software. Here are the steps:
- Open the Adrenalin software and go to the “Gaming” tab.
- Click on the “Global Settings” tab.
- Under “Global Graphics” select and enable “Frame Rate Target Control”.
- Set the “Target FPS” value. This determines the value you want to get in your game.
- Click on the “Save” button.
You can also click on “Games” in the “Gaming” tab if you want to adjust the settings on a game-by-game basis.
- Select your game and activate the “Frame Rate Target Control” option under “Graphics”.
- Set the “Target FPS” value.
- Click the “Save” button.
What is Frame Rate?
When you quickly turn the pages of a notebook consisting of a paper with a picture on each page, the image would appear to come alive and move. Video works the same way. Video, whether digital or old film, is a collection of still images that create the illusion of motion when viewed sequentially at a certain speed. Each of the images is called a “frame”.
Frame rate therefore refers to how fast the images are displayed, or how fast you “spin” through the book. It is often described as “frames per second” or FPS. So if a video is recorded and played back at 24 frames per second, there are 24 separate still images in each second of the video.
Your brain is tricked into thinking the motion is smooth because of the speed at which they are displayed.
Why Frame Rate Matters
The look and feel of watching a video is significantly affected by the frame rate. Various frame rates create different viewing experiences, so choosing a frame rate often requires considering a number of different aspects, such as how realistic you want the video to look and whether you intend to use slow motion or motion blur effects.
For example, Hollywood-style films are often shown at 24 frames per second because this frame rate is close to how people see the world and creates a very cinematic aesthetic. Because so much is happening at once, live action films or films with a lot of movement, such as athletic events or video games, sometimes have higher frame rates. With a higher frame rate, motion is fluid and detail is kept sharp.
But those who make animated GIFs often sacrifice detail to reduce file size and achieve a low frame rate.